When you use the internet on your mobile or tablet and you’re not connected to WiFi you're using mobile data. For example, you might be:
- Browsing websites
- Checking or sending emails (emails with attachments use more data)
- Downloading music, videos, apps or games
- Using apps or games
- Using social media
- Using business apps or office tools: such as work emails or VPNs
- Uploading pictures or videos
Our Postpaid plans come with a monthly data allowance in megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). We’ll notify you by SMS if you get close to using your allowance.
One way to make your allowance go further is to use WiFi whenever you can. That way, you save your data allowance for when you're on the move.
Downloading films or TV shows eats the most data. Sending and receiving work emails with large attachments all day can use just as much. Here are a few examples, to give you a rough idea.
Email – Without attachments, the average email is around 10KB for personal emails – or 20 to 30KB, for work. With attachments, it can be anything from 500K for one photo, to several MB for large documents.
Websites – The average website takes around 500KB to load. And an hour of browsing takes around 15MB.
Social media – Twitter uses very little data – Facebook uses more. Tweeting a message uses about 500KB, but if you're uploading lots of photos, it'll use more.
Apps and games – Downloading utilities takes under 10MB – games take around 30MB or more. Playing games online will use more – roughly 60MB an hour.
Music – Downloading one song uses around 3 to 10MB.
Video clips, TV shows and films – An average video clip's about 1.5MB, a TV show's around 37.5 MB and a film approximately 225MB. In HD, it's more like 3MB for a clip, 95MB for a TV show and 570MB for a film.
How much data do you need each month?
20MB is enough to:
- Browse for 5 mins
- Send 5 emails with attachments
- Watch 1 clip on YouTube
- Download 1 song on Deezer
- Skype for 2 minutes
100MB is enough to:
- Browse for 25 mins
- Send 25 emails with attachments
- Watch 5 clip on YouTube
- Download 5 songs on Deezer
- Skype for 10 minutes
500MB is enough to:
- Browse for 2 hours
- Send 125 emails with attachments
- Watch 15 clips on YouTube or stream for 25 mins
- Download 9 songs on Deezer
- Skype for 30 minutes
1GB is enough to:
- Browse for 4 hours
- Send 250 emails with attachments
- Watch 30 clips on YouTube or stream for 50 mins
- Download 20 songs on Deezer
- Skype for 1 hour
2GB is enough to:
- Browse for 8 hours
- Send 500 emails with attachments
- Watch 60 clips on YouTube or stream for 2 hours
- Download 40 songs on Deezer
- Skype for 2 hours
4GB is enough to:
- Browse for 16 hours
- Send 1000 emails with attachments
- Watch 120 clips on YouTube or stream for 4 hours
- Download 80 songs on Deezer
- Skype for 4 hours
How much does data cost?
You can see our latest Prepaid data pricing here and out latest Postpaid data plans on MyPlan.
Keeping up to date with your data usage
You can download the MyDataManager App for iPhone or Android for free. Sign in and configure you’re account. You'll see a breakdown of all the data you've used and what's left.
To help Postpaid customers to stay on top of data usage, we'll text you when you reach 75% of your allowance and again when you reach 100%. When you reach 100%, we'll help you avoid running up a data bill by stopping your access and asking you if you want to buy more to keep going.
For Prepaid customers when your data plan is about to expire, we’ll send you a text message advising that your current plan is being renewed. Funds will then be deducted from your credit balance, automatically. There’s nothing you need to do – except enjoy uninterrupted social media, web surfing and video streaming.